Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Placement test - the after

Introduction of KLCC
Got back from my placement test around 1pm. First thing I wanted to do was calling Li Jen. I didn't really feel sure about the result. Actually the placement test wasn't difficult at all. The whole happening was well organized by the Korean Language and Culture Center of Korea University, the institute that is responsible for the Korean Language teaching to foreigners. Before entering the auditorium the participants all got a nice transparent portable briefcase with the necessary information and the test sheets of course. There were a lot of Asian people, most among them where Chinese from China and some Japanese as well. I only noticed a hand full of non Asian people and a hand full of people possibly somewhere in their 30's or older. Most students were early tweeners.

Actually, the placement test was not that difficult. The first part of the test wasn't exactly a test but the introduction of the Korea University and the KLCC and what was to be expected during this term. The introduction was held in Korean, English, Mandarin and Japanese. Funny that I understood just the bits and pieces of those three Asian languages.
The program looked very interesting with a lot of outside of class activities like field trips to Buddhist temples, hiking in the nature, but you can also join a 'culture', 'Korean traditional dance' or 'movie' club. I also signed in for a 'buddy's program' which means I will get a Korean student volunteering to help me out during my stay here in Korea and to practice the language with. Condition is that I have to meet him or her at least twice a week... I hope I do get a more 'mature' 'buddy' and not a 18-year young one who's in a totally different life stage than I am. Even my younger brother is maturing in his early twenties now ;p. But even then, still have to keep my mind open to that scenario.

The classes last 10 weeks, every weekday from 9am to 1pm. In the afternoon, we can join various activities. We will start on next Monday. Tests are held on every Monday and we will have mid-terms in May and graduation in June. Of course, everything will be graded so I hope I will do fine.

The test
The whole introduction took about one hour of the orientation. The real 'test' part of it consisted in two parts and was actually not that hard : a writing test and speaking test. The writing part was to write a self introduction, which I have done a few times already during my time at Adroit College, so I was well prepared. After the writing, the ones who already had some experience in Korean had to go to another classroom to do the interview. I had to wait for about half an hour or three quarters in a row of at least 30 people. While waiting I had a conversation with a Chinese guy, somewhere from the western part of China. We talked a bit in English and Mandarin. I got a bit confused while talking when using Mandarin and English and some Korean words at the same time. The guy was accompanying his friend who had to take the test and who's been here for already one year. But that guy didn't speak English that well and I couldn't understand his Mandarin dialect that well. There was another young girl sitting next to me, who couldn't understand his dialect, so I was a bit relieved. Still, I have to fresh up my Mandarin a bit. I might be a good opportunity here.
All of them were 20 years old, so I felt a bit weird amongst them. Most of them were amazed that I already hit the 30's, being married and have worked for a while. But hey, life can turn out in a funny way. Hahaha, they told me I am a funny woman. I take that as a compliment. Maybe I have that stuck to the ground Belgium humor ;p. Hahaha. Having worked in the construction business for more than 5 years, as a woman, you should have some guts, humor and sense of relativity in a mainly men's world ;p.

I actually wasn't nervous at all during the speaking test. I just did the best I could and hoped I can get into level 2, because level 1 is really at the beginner's bottom, having to learn reading and writing all over again. I could answer almost all of the teacher's question, about my life, my family, my reason to study here, but of course, I might not be as fluent as a level 1 student who has graduated after an intensive 10 weeks course at this school. So the teacher told me that I was actually too advanced to start at level 1 but maybe level 2 will be difficult for me, because I might not have covered all the grammar of a level 1 student. Luckily during my stay in the USA, I bought myself a grammar book of Yonsei University where I studied on myself a bit and I finished my book at Adroit College on myself. If not, I would certainly end up in level 1. So they still have to decide on this. Maybe they are holding some kind of 1.5 level class. But she also told me if level 2 was too hard I can always change to 1. So, let's hope for the best. I really didn't go all the way to here to learn the Korean alphabet all over again.

Hmmmm... I feel worried though. We will get the test results on Friday April 4, at 6pm. Thumbs all up!!

Shopping on the campus
In the afternoon, I went out for shopping for some books on the campus. Whether I end up in level 1 or 2, I still like to have some tutoring books on languages. The campus has a lot of student facilities like coffee shops - not the Dutch ones of course - bookstores, banks, eateries, bookshops, study rooms, ... Some of them are located below ground level and have a bit the atmosphere of a small scale underground shopping mall. I still feel a bit strange being a student again, but I think I will get used to it once the classes are getting started. Just really can't wait to begin :).

(... so as for now, I am going to update my 'Korea University' entry...)

No comments: