Thursday, April 03, 2008

My first stout? in Korea

Yesterday evening the manager of Crimson House knocked on my door and asked me if I had plans in the evening... So I told her I had nothing special in mind. She asked me if I was interested to go out to have dinner with an Austrian and Korean guy who live on the fifth floor of Crimson, so I said yes. At first, I thought she was coming to, that would be nice, but she was not planning to. I checked the age for sure and the guys were mid twenties. That can work =).

The Austrian guy - let's call him H to begin with because I don't know if he wants his name published - is a 4 months exchange student at Kyunghee University and is in his final year. The Korean guy - let's call him P - studies at Korea University and is a native Korean with hometown in Busan, located at the south east end of South Korea.
P took us out to dinner near the campus, in a street of which I didn't knew the existence of... of course, I just got here. Actually, I already have been there on Monday when I was at the Hana Bank for my bank account, but I didn't leave the building at the main street's side but at the campus' side. So I didn't notice it. And I thought I lived in a quite neighborhood :). In comparison with Sinchon, these few streets were peanuts. But still the presence of shops, bars, eateries and the crowd of students really made this area into a bustling place to hang out in the evening. And it's not even far from my student house. We went to a 'chicken eatery' were we had some .... yeah CHICKEN. Comparable with KFC, but home style-like. Being a non meat eater, I just ate some vegetables.
Afterwards we went to a 'pub' or 'bar' where we had some snacks - Korean non fat 'chips' and dried squid with peanuts - and drinks.
There was a neon sign of 'Hoegaarden' and a big poster of 'Stella Artois' hanging on the wall, so I told them that my home town was Leuven, the Stella Artois town. But they didn't have a clue what I was talking about ;p. "Mijn thuis is waar mijn Stella staat."
I had my first 'Korean stout' Hite Stout and actually it reminded me a of a Palm... So was it really a stout? Is it a 'non compliment' if I try to compare one of our nation's centuries pride called Palm to a foreign beer? Or have my taste buds become so wasted because of the spicy Korean food ;p. And here comes another question : is 'stout' synonym for 'dark ale' while as Palm is an 'amber ale'? Hmmm... I am not really a beer expert, although I come from the 'country of beers'.

H and P were very nice company to hang out with. We talked about a lot of things, especially about cultural differences between Austria, Belgium / Netherlands, USA and Korea, China / Hong Kong. Sometimes it's not so clear to me and to others what nationality I am and where exactly I came from, being Chinese with Dutch nationality, having lived in Belgium for the greatest part of my life and recently moved to the USA which literally IS the country where I came from before I entered Korea. I am sensing a status of 'placelessness' right now.

It's really nice to meet new people, to talk the whole time and find out about things you never knew before. At least, I go out more often than I did during the past half year in the USA ;p. I like meeting people of other cultures and different backgrounds : it broadens your mind, changes your way of thinking about the world and life in general.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Helaba Pucca-girl!

Ik zie dat je veilig en wel in Korea bent toegekomen! Het was leuk om je nog es gezien te hebben in Belgie! Ondertussen ben ik juist terug van Bazel, Zwitserland. Even met het werk de Baselshow gaan opstarten...vermoeiend, maar leuk! Daar heb ik een paar collega's van Duitsland, Zurich, Geneve, Italie en Japan leren kennen. Een korte paar dagen reis, maar echt plezant om mensen te leren kennen van verschillende culturen! Ik hoop dat je in level 2 geraakt en heel leuke ervaringen gaat opdoen, maar daar twijfel ik niet aan!
grtjes

shuk yin