Saturday, September 20, 2008

Back in Korea

It took me a while, but I finally got to the point that I have been postponing all the time : updating my blog here ;p. I am finding myself at some Starbuck's coffee shop near Insadong, not because I like the coffee... but because there's some wireless internet that I can use. Today was not a very good day to do some exploring : it rained practically whole day and my feet are wet. Luckily I did bring my umbrella along, because I felt that it would rain, even though the weather report did not really forecast rain for today.
So as most of you already know, I am back in Korea, since this week Monday evening. Actually, it has been quite a hectic few weeks, just before I left for Korea again, but that's another story.

Flew with Asiana Airlines from San Francisco to Seoul, nothing special on the flight, the food was not spectacular, so were the female flight attendants : those from Korean Air are more pretty, even I as a female can see that. But even then, the service was quite good, if you get a Korean flight attendant at least. Mine was an Indonesian or some other South East Asian country, nice young lady but very casual while interaction with the passengers and at some point even almost impolite. She was more laid back compared to her Korean colleagues.

Arrived in the Monday evening, luckily I knew my way tot the express bus and the language as well, because the bus driver eventually passed my bus stop without any announcing, making me walk for about 20 minutes like a fool in the dark to the dormitory with my big and small suitcase trolleys. Hell of an arrival I would say. It was hot and humid and I was tired. But I made it fine. Luckily this did not happen the first time I came to Korea in March this year, because I would not know where I had to tell the bus driver to stop.
Luckily this time, I did not pack that much and this for 3 months. I actually didn't even pack winter clothes, for it's summer time in Korea right now, the last few days up to 28*C by daytime and 20*C by nighttime. Actually warmer and more moisture than in San Francisco Bay Area.

The manager of the dormitory was not there at my arrival but she left the key of my room to my neighbor. I got a bigger room than I asked for, actually I was thinking of having a 4 square meters room at the corner of the building - 2 windows - because I thought I would manage without too much space. Eventually today, after long hesitating between function, space, light and costs, I decided to stay at the bigger room, about 8 square meters with less daylight. I might need the extra space to move I think, in case I become over energetic... "De kogel is door de kerk...."

The first few days, I did some shopping to make my daily life more comfortable, especially a lot of food and daily hygiene products that I did not bring along. Yesterday I had to take the subway to the main office of my cell phone company to register for a cell phone number. I should have done it earlier, but I was too lazy. Because of the heat I think ;p.

I already went jogging again - on Thursday - yes at night again. Nothing to worry about, Seoul is a safe city, as long as there are people outside, having dinner, drinking soju, in the nice warm hot and humid evenings and nights.

Meanwhile I have also met some friends. It's nice to be back in Korea. Although it feels strange as well to be back. Some people have gone, some people stayed. This time, the environment is not really new to me. I know my way, I am acquainted with the language and the habits, I even have my friends living here, a kind of social life. Already met with 2 of the Japanese girls - Eriko and Yuka - of my former spring-class this year and yesterday I had dinner with my good friend Sang-yul. Also by accident bumped into a Chinese guy that I call my 'younger brother' because I am much older than him. And that's about it.

I could call some more people, like for tonight : it's Saturday night and I could go out and dance... Yeah DANCE... but I think I will call it for today, because I already feel a cold coming up : itchy nose feeling like there's fog hanging around all the time, itchy throat, annoying cough during night time. I think it's because of the climate change and the air co in my room. And still, I think I really take good care of myself.

Today, is a moody day. My first day of exploring again. Exploring the places that I forgot about the first time I was in Korea. I do enjoy traveling on my own, from time to time, but when it's raining I tend to get moody and melancholic. I miss LJ. I miss my home. I miss Belgium. I miss our friends. I even miss our swimming pool in the USA. I really have to find a nice place to swim here.

Still sitting at Starbuck's. I am about to leave. My Caffe Latte is almost finished. At the background noisy people talking but I feel like I live in my own cocoon of thoughts. It's still raining outside. Despite the rain and my wet feet and wet travel guides, I did experience some 'warm' moments in the colder rain today, making me thinking back of a certain night last week at Santa Monica beach near Los Angeles ;).

A lot has to do with hot instant coffee from the vending machine - you can get it everywhere here, lucky me :) -


free pop corn and participating at Korean cookie making and tea ceremony I attended during my visit to one of the Royal Palaces in Seoul. Learned a lot about how to drink tea in Korean way :)). Graciously.

So... off I go now. Next entry will be with pictures and so. About today's experiences. Rethinking the structure of this blog, I might jump back from time to time to last semester's trips I made when my husband came here on holiday. We will see. At least, I started writing again :)).

No comments: