Monday, September 22, 2008

Exploring Korea's tradtions

Like most Asian cities, Seoul is a shopping paradise... food paradise... entertainment paradise. Where ever I go in Seoul, I never get bored of the sights because at every streets corner, in what ever sub center of Seoul, you will find new shops, coffee corners, restaurants over and over again. Seoul's buildings and facilities are packed densely and not just per square feet, but also in the height. At night neon lights all over. It's hard to really orientate sometimes. Busy during daytime, crowded with 70 percents of female shoppers, the streets come even more alive at night, when people get off from school and work. Some shops even have special sales during certain times in the evening giving all their products away with 20% discount. Shopping around 7pm is like crazy, I think.


Sometimes I feel lost in such a big city. Although I am not alone and surrounded by people, I feel lost. I am always surprised, when I find a spot of nature or park in the midst of this bustling city, where not too many people tend to come.


Last Saturday, I went to visit one of the Royal Palaces Changgyeonggung and Jongmyo Royal Shrine situated near the City Hall of Seoul and in the vicinity of the other grand palaces in Seoul. Actually to be honest, I don't really see the difference any longer between one and the other palace, because the architecture looks a bit similar. Maybe I am loosing my touch of observation as an architect, being jobless for almost one year ;p. But still, I like visiting ancient buildings, because they breathe history and have been standing there through time and space.
And I also like the surroundings of those palaces, most situated in a quiet and serene green 'park' environment. A nice break from the city's never ending stream of people, cars and consumption.


Nice thing about Changgyeonggung is that it's actually not as popular among tourists as the bigger Gyeonbokgung and Changdeokgung, but visitors can enjoy some very nice traditional cultural events like tea ceremony and cookie making course.


Actually I kind of by accident rolled into one of those events and I am glad I did. I was just in time to make the dough for the sesame and peanut cookies. Just sat down next to some Korean mothers and their children, as I was part of their tea party :). Being a daughter of a former Chinese baker and a mother who's all crazy about making Chinese Moon cakes lately, I felt some melancholy to my late grandmother's bakery in Hong Kong.


The recipe is quite simple : just mixing some honey with peanut powder or sesame powder and pushing the dough in some molds. After the cookie making the Korean hostesses taught us the movements how to drink Korean traditional tea... I did quite well they told me... or maybe it was just politeness towards a foreigner ;p.


In the evening, I walked towards Insadong, wanting to explore some of the remaining traditional houses in the city center, but eventually I ended up lost again - my night vision and orientation get worse by dawn - finding myself a nice cup of coffee at Starbuck's, drying up from the rain.

It was Saturday night, and guess what? I did go out on myself eventually in the Hongdae area. It's a bit stupid, I admit, nobody goes out on their own, but I just wanted to be outside on Saturday evening on my own, so I just DID. So I visited Jane's Groove after 3 months, my favorite bar in Seoul. Because the female owner of the bar is my friend. I listened to some music, enjoyed a Leffe and danced of course. Ended up talking to her best friend who's the manager of the bar. He had a very strange English accent, very familiar and yes... it was as I thought : he had a Dutch-English accent. Korean guy who has been living in Amsterdam for about 3 years, even being able to speak Dutch to me. I was really surprised and happy at the same time :)). The world is really small from time to time to meet people that have something in common with you.

Took the first subway back to my dormitory. But had to wait for about one hour. People outside were drunk and happy, I was just wandering around on my own, observing people. It's really funny to be the only sober person among all those young students... I was fascinated by the lively scenery that early in the morning but felt lonely at the same time. Luckily near my subway station there was a small eatery with a kind ajumma - middle aged lady - where I could wait and where I had a very nice - actually DELICIOUS - red bean rice porridge on the wait :))... I LOVE READ BEANS. Although Saturday was a moody and lonely day for me - partly because of the rain - I experienced some warm and comfortable moments too, all linked to Korea's traditional food, served by kind-hearted people :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

to the girl at the other side of the sea
life is full of surprises
don't be afraid and never stop exploring
kfj