Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Trippin' on my own :)

WaaaaHAAAAW. Never experienced a supersize computerscreen like the one currently in front of me and sitting in a very nice leather chear with comfortable head cushion. I really feel like the president of some company sitting lazy behind HER desk - my thoughts are alway emancipated ;p - leaning backwards while typing. NO, I am not at my small room at Crimson House in Seoul. I am at some internet room, somewhere in Busan. Actually, today I suddenly decided to do a trip on my own to the South of Korea... because I felt like it. And it goes like this...

This morning I had my Korean level test at Korea University. Since I came back to Korea 2 weeks ago, I have been studying and from time to time did some exploring around Seoul and met some friends as well. But not very much. My main focus was still studying, because this will be the last time that I will be here and I wanted to at least enter at intermediate level 3. Last spring semester I started level '1.5' meaning that I graduated at level '2.5' in June. But because there are no half levels anylonger at the language center of Korea University starting from this semester, people from '2,5' have to follow 2 in the next semester. The same with my classmates who continued in summer semester : they graduated with level 3,5 in September but this semester they have to drop back to level '3'... anyway... My point is : back in the US and here I have been studying on myself in order to get to level '3'. Studying a language on yourself is nice, but if you don't really have someone to talk to but yourself, you don't really notice weather you have made progress or not. Luckily I did... at least a lot better than my level test in March.
So today in the morning I did my written level test and had my interview. Everything went quite smoothly and the examinator told me I could start without problem at level 3. YES. YES. My efforts really paid off :)). The sun was shining, autumn at his best, not too cold, not too hold. I headed home afterwards but I did not really know what I was going to do the next few days, now I can really take some time 'off' from my books.

So, I called LJ, and asked him what I should do... I really felt like going away for a while, because I have been in Seoul too long time and I really have to grab the opportunity to travel while the weather is still warm and they did not forecast rain at all this week.
So while talking to my husband online, I packed my backpack with the most necessary stuff I would be needing for the coming 3 days : a new set of clothes, underwear, jacket, pocket knife, toothbrush and paste, towel, adapter for my camera, two bottles of water, and... actually that's about it. And my Lonely Planet guide and my diary of course... I never have packed this light and went on a travel with only a small backpack. And for the first time really ON MY OWN... If you don't count in Vancouver. I did not even take my handbag with me. Put on my light hiking shoes - they are feather light and unbelievably comfortable - and off I was to Seoul Station, destination : Busan.

The moment I walked out of the door of my dormitory, I really felt FREE. Free to go and stand where I want to. Actually travelling on your own is not that hard, as long as you keep open minded and not being afraid all the time. Having a positive attitude is helping a lot too, and of course I try to be carefull and not to do stupid things like going out at night at the Russian quarter in Busan.
I arrived at Seoul Station around 2pm...just in time to catch the high speed KTX train to Busan of 2.15pm. I was lucky. The trip was very comfortable, the higs speed train travels silently and there were not too many people on the train either.
A trip of almost three hours took me from the north to the south of Korea : green mountains, yellow colored ricefields, small villages, the nature preparing for autumn colors. The sky was clear with just a few white clouds, gold colored sunshine throught the train windows on my arms, on my face, I felt blessed to be on my way :).

It's not my first time in Busan, I was here as well last time with LJ on our way to Jeju Island. Arriving at Busan station, I went to the tourist information counter to get me a map and asked if they could contact one of the motels - bit outside of downtown - I had in mind to stay. I was lucky, there was still a room free for 2 nights. An old lady '할머니' showed me the way to the room and I was not disappointed at all : I got an 'ondol 언얼' room, which means a traditional Korean room where you have to sleep on the ground on a mat. The room is actually even bigger then my room at my student house. The bathroom was very clean as well and it even had a bath. In the hall way there was some free tea and instant coffee. The room was actually way much better than I expected, although my Lonely Planet guide was not really enthousiastic about this place. I still don't get why...

I noticed that my motel is in a quite 'safe' area, surrounded by a lot of embassies and banks. A lot of small convenience stores, small eateries coffee shops as well, supplying the office workers by daytime. And just at 1 minute walk from my motel, there is this 'PC 방' where I pay only 1 doller per hour internet. I am glad I did not take my laptop along.
After unloading my backpack I walked to downtown. It was dawn and the city was preparing for its night life. On of the reason I came to Busan again was because of the Pusan International Film Festival, hoping to still get some tickets for some of the performances. It officially starts tomorrow, but actually tonight I already witnessed the opening ceremony at the festival square. There were a few famous directors and actors attending the ceremony, but to be honest I did not know any of them. I better look it up and brag about this afterwards - me having seen some Korean celebreties, hahaha ;p.

After the ceremony, I went to a small pastry house, where I knew they had very delicious espresso and pastries. Hmmm... although I am traveling on my own, I do enjoy every moment of the trip. I had some kind of berry-chocolate mousse cake. YUM YUM. And I did not even had dinner before.

BUT dinner, was actually even better. I was thinking of having a simple meal like soup with rice and side dishes, then I suddenly passed an eatery where they had a combo '영양돌솥비빔밥 + 해물찌개' - a traditional purple colored rice in a sizzling stone pot with spicy seafood soup... and top of the top, I got 10 - yes TEN - side dishes all for myself among which one whole fried fish. Having such a royal meal I really felt being the Queen of the world. Hahaha. I did not even have to share my food :).
Busan with its big harbor it THE place to have fresh seafood of all kinds... Last time in June I ate live octopus with LJ : tentakels still moving in your mouth while eating. Exquisite, delicious and irreplaceble experience... really.

Because it was already late when I came out of the eatery, I decided to head 'homewards' passing Busan Tower where I had a magnificent night view from the top observatory. Of course, I was the only person being there on my own, because at this time this is the romantic hang out place for couples. At the observatory I met a Chinese lady talking Korean and a Korean man talking Chinese and took some pictures with them.

My first day on my own here in Busan has been really nice. Travelling on your own has its pros and cons. Actually I do like it a lot too. Otherwise I would not be here. Because being on your own, you don't have to divide your attention making the impressions on your way deeper and intenser. Of course, if you want to share some thoughts at a very moment, there's nobody who's listening.

So luckily for me, I found this internet place where I can trash my thoughts. After being silent for the whole day. I still don't know what's on the menu for the next few days. If I don't get any tickets to the Film Festival, I will just go around Busan to hike or visit some temples or islands.

Anyway, for those at home. Don't worry. I will be careful while on the road. I always believe there's someone watching over me.

No comments: