Friday, October 03, 2008

One day of Busan International Film Festival

Crazy, crazy... I have been at the Busan Film Festival for the whole day, mainly chasing after tickets. Because the 5+1 combo that I bought yesterday, are just plastic cards where you have to scratch some kind of code like the one you use for charging your 'pay and go' cell phone... Just I could not find out how to use it through the internet, although I tried several buttons on the referred site - ALL IN KOREAN.
It's really crazy because I am getting the wrong information all over how to purchase a ticket. Althought the website of the festival does have an English section, still it's not always that clear how the ticketing system is working. I do understand that you can book online, by cell phone and even at a bank. Have not tried it yet.
I almost panicked today, because at the ticket booth of the cinema, they told me I could only use my pre bought cards for the outside screenings, which are running only in the afternoon... And I am only staying here untill tomorrow evening, I think.

Anyway, to make a long story shorter, I finally purchased a ticket for the first screening around 10 in the morning but not for the movie that I wanted to see - everything was sold out - so I just payed with cash at the ticket exchanging boot where people want to get rid of the tickets they are not planning to see... It was a Malaysian animation movie 'Budak Lapok' that I really enjoyed a lot.
For the screening around noon everything was sold out, so I just bought randomly 2 tickets for the late afternoon and evening screening - ANYTHING - would be fine, as long as I had my movies to watch... And this time I could use my plastic code cards to pay.
Because I had some time in between, I decided to go back to the beach, have some lunch, and relax, because the morning chasing after tickets was quite stressful... hahaha, who am I to talk about stress anyway ;p.

My afternoon at the beach was really THE MAX and I enjoyed the sun on my skin, as maybe the only Asian girl around who wants to get a sun tan. Crazy, crazy, they would call me. And I would not have been to the sea if I did not plunge my feet into the ocean blue water... Hmmmm.. I was happy on my golden beach.... with at least of 1.000 people surrounding me.

By late afternoon I went back to the same cinema, where I watched a movie about the Korean Olympic Female Handball Team in Athens 2004 'Forever the moment'. Sounds boring, a movie about sports, but actually it was not all about sports...It was about team spirit, female bonding, hope and not giving up. Women territory : the director was a woman who held a small press conference after the movie together with 2 of the main actresses... Hahaha, I finally met some famous Korean actresses and I was actually standing in the front line, because I had my own English translator next to me. Glad I raised my hand when some lady asked if someone needed Englis translation on which I could stand in the front line next to her, at less than 10 meters from the celebreties, actually I was standing at the doorway, so I say all of them coming in... Actually I could have touched them, theoretically, but that would be a bit too crazy. I am exagerating.

Before the last screening I looked for my dinner and watched a Thai animated movie about Buddha, called *Buddha* - of course. Very colorful cartoon but a little bit too long, because more than half of the dialogues preached Buddha's life filosophy.
What did I learn? Desire and possession are the main cause of suffering...

Time is running out. I am going to try to purchase my ticket at some night shops... My last chance for tomorrows screenings and then I am leaving Busan for some remoted island I think...

pictures will be posted later.... I know it's boring to read without pictures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the movie. I was hoping to be there for the festival but since it clashed with Hari Raya it made the trip quite impossible. I do hope the others in the hall also felt the same way about the movie as you did.

eltieke said...

It was really nice how you portraited the daily life and characters of the 3 boys, with their small and big worries. The over all spirit of the movie was very joyful, as well there were times that we - the audience i mean - had a good laugh too, especially during the "grave yard" scene and the "theater competition play" ;). I especially liked the final scene where one of the boys had to die several times because he thought that would be more dramatical... hahaha... Very very charming and keep up the good work !!