Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Mid-terms and the art of seduction

Just got back from class... it was raining buckets of water. For a minute or 15. And then, it stopped, as sudden as it came. I am enjoying my kimbap and have to start on my triangular sushi bun. I just called to the USA because Sam - a childhood friend - is in Silicon Valley for a few days and he's having dinner with my hub... Guess where? At a Korean restaurant 'Tutti'모두랑 that we like to visit often, because my Korean teacher told me it is one of the best around in the area where we live. Hmmm... it's funny, a lot of things in my life now are related to Korea... I would have never thought this one year ago, when I was still living in Belgium, working.

As I look back, a lot of things have changed in the passed year, not to even mention a shorter period, a half year... From Belgium to USA, from USA to Korea and somewhere in between I have been back in Belgium for two weeks... I feel like belonging to everywhere... and nowhere...

Seduction

This week I am having my mid term exam on Friday. I am studying now, but yesterday I went shopping for some sports clothing because I ran out of sports socks and I really needed a sport bra. Went to an outlet shopping mall on the subway line a few stops before Dobongsan. Actually I wasn't planning to stay there so long, because I still wanted to study, but of course, so much choice and things to see... I ended up with the thing that I was looking for : jogging equipment only :).
I also did some groceries shopping at the underground supermarket, which was a little bit cheaper than the Family Mart or groceries story in neighborhood that I frequent daily. I came back with 5 new cup noodles, 2 big packs of cereals, whole grain cookies, dark chocolate,... all power food for studying AND instant COFFEE with the face of Daniel Henney on it - my husband was really LOL when he heard I finally got seduced to buy Daniel Henney.. I have seen this coffee in the Hankook Market in Sunnyvale (USA) as well but I never bought it...

There was a period that I really liked him - or shall I say I just like his looks, shallow, shallow that I am ;) - especially in the Korean drama 'My name is Kim Sam-soon' but after I saw some other movies of him, I didn't really think that well of him as an actor. But admit it, he is really handsome and has a nice body, but still... not really good actor I think. Sorry for the fans :(. And as we are talking about Korean actors anyway, I like Jae Hee and Bae Yong-joon because I like the roll they played in some movies. I especially like Jae Hee's play in one of my favorite Kim Ki-duk's movie 'Bin Jip'. The movie and theme is very touching, and the soundtrack as well. The director even used the song of a Belgian female artist, Natacha Atlas. Enchanting music. Enchanting movie.

For those who don't know, Kim Ki-duk is my favorite Korean movie director. His movies might not be very commercial, but I just think he has a good talent to put human interaction, without too much words, on screen... I even remember that in some of his movies, the actors barely spoke, or didn't even spoke at all... So not really the best movies to upgrade your Korean, but a must for those who love more alternative cinema.
A funny intermezzo by the way... My doumi -
aka my Korean speaking partner, I uploaded her picture for the guys - she met Kim Ki-duk not so long time ago, while watching a movie somewhere in Seoul. She was sitting somewhere behind him but she was too shy to ask him his signature... Hmmmm... I would have done it immediately :). And he was accompanied by a much more younger lady, who might be his girlfriend. Food for the Korean gossip press :p.

Running under the stars
And yesterday, I went running again... around midnight again. On my own again. I like running alone. Because it gives you the opportunity to think and not think. There were still people at the play field : a young couple doing some 'young couple' things while sitting on a bench. They left and then two slightly drunk men, sitting on a bench. I don't really know if they were sometimes talking to me, because I heard them speaking loudly every time I passed their bench, but tried to avoid them while having my music plugged into my ears. It was a good run. I really needed it. Had to sort some things out or just needed some air after my study.
I think it was passed 2 o'clock when I got to bed. I slept well. And of course, very small eyes this very morning ;p

1 comment:

1minutefilmreview said...

Hi, we're fans of Kim Ki Duk too.
Feel free to drop by for a quick movie reviews.